The Little Ol' Band from Texas

If you happen to find yourself overtaken by some red-hot blues boogie today, don’t panic. Chances are you’re having a purely normal reaction to ZZ Top. The Little Ol’ Band from Texas takes the stage at WinStar World Casino tonight (Saturday) for a sold-out show.

Having burst on to the scene in the early 1970s with full-throated anthems like “Tush” and “La Grange,” the trio of guitarist Billy Gibbons, bassist Dusty Hill and drummer Frank Beard show no sign of slowing down. They have cranked out a feast of ferocious (and funny) rockers -- “Cheap Sunglasses,” “Pearl Necklace,” “Sharp Dressed Man,” “Gimme All Your Lovin’” and “Legs,” to name a few -- ZZ Top has sold more than 50 million albums worldwide and in 2004 earned induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

WinStar Spotlight caught up with Gibbons for a round of burning questions about the group’s penchant for sunglasses and beards long enough to make a Hasidic rabbi blush.

Q: Six decades playing together is an amazing feat. How have you guys done it without killing one another?

Gibbons: We long ago decided on ZZ’s ongoing goal -- Havin’ a good time. There are the strange and unusual personal pursuits, yet we still tend to hang out with each other more than one might suspect.It's not uncommon to find us organizing radio-controlled racecars in venue parking lots on a show day. Tailgate gatherings are big on the list, as well. Break out the BBQ!

Q: How did the sunglasses start?

Gibbons: Seems that when paying big money for sunglasses, they vanish. On the other hand, if you get ‘em at the dollar store, you'll have them forever. A terrific fashion accessory and very affordable!

Q: Have you ever really wanted to lose the beard?

Gibbons: Wow! Far too frightening to contemplate. Looking in a mirror would be a scary movie we don't want to attend.

Q: What exactly is “Tush”?

Gibbons: There are three levels of luxury: they start with 'Tush.' Move up to 'Plush' and the top of the heap is 'Rico.' So the song is saying we're not looking for anything extraordinary -- just something kind of comfortable. But, of course, 'Rico' is the aspirational level.

Roy Head, the great Texas rock and roller had a B-side back in the middle ‘60s entitled 'Tush Hog.' We're letting you know this to underscore that we just didn't make this up. 'Tush' is real!

Q: Who was responsible for selecting the incredibly hot women in all the music videos from the 1980s? How did that come about?

Gibbons: The three of us and Tim Newman, the guy who directed ZZ’s videos, held the casting call and the finalists are who you see in those videos. We still stay in touch with the original ZZ gals, and some of them have brought their youngsters to our shows. It's a 'fonky' continuum.

Q: Is there a song of yours that you were legitimately surprised became such a massive hit?

Gibbons: We were on the road during the early years and nobody had told us that 'La Grange' had become a hit. It was quite a thrill and surprise to turn on the radio and find it blasting away on all those stations.

Q: Tell me about the experience of being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Gibbons: That was, surely, the apex of our collective experience.We had been at the ceremonies in earlier years to do the inducting of Howlin' Wolf, but dared not imagine that we'd be ourselves inducted. The fact that Keith Richards did the honors [inducting the band] just compounded the circumstance most positively. Too cool of a night than anybody has a right to have.

Q: What's the latest on the next studio record?

Gibbons: Should be out in the spring and it's headed into the post-production stage. Mixing, re-mixing, mastering, etc. It's loud, down and dirty, and we think you'll like it. We're also hard at work trying to come up with a title and we're open to suggestions.

Meanwhile, rock on!

16 comments (Add your own)

1. Tibbie wrote:
Stay with this guys, you're helping a lot of plepoe.

Mon, October 8, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

2. htatknqlsnp wrote:
c8xKPB aqzvmkddzrbs

Thu, October 11, 2012 @ 12:49 AM

3. AdamsSok wrote:
Hi savings lover!

What can you buy online? Yes, almost everything! So, for everything you can get a significant percentage of cashback from our service!

Our regular users know that using a cashback service cashback service you can not only profitably buy clothes and equipment, but also save money on purchases of household chemicals, cosmetics and the mass of other categories of goods. And with us you can get a cashback with each order of your favorite food!

We are constantly expanding our list of partners among online stores, choosing the most popular of them, so that you don’t have to limit yourself to choosing!

Choose from thousands of brands and a million products of various categories! And, of course, get cashback from each order! Visit our website right now and reduce your spending on purchases!

Save up to 40% from each purchase !. Use cashback service cashback service s. Introducing the largest cashback service cashback service in the world!
- 2078 popular online cashback stores
- 969 stores with increased cashback
Today, bank cards are not only a way to store money and non-cash payments, but also a very interesting financial instrument, opening a number of convenient and profitable functions for their owners.
Cashback has become a favorite subject in many of the features of related cards.
Fast cash withdrawal in a convenient way! http://bit.ly/2VYijaH

Thu, May 9, 2019 @ 10:30 AM

4. wrote:
If some one desires to be updated with most recent technologies afterward he must be
visit this site and be up to date all the time.

Fri, May 10, 2019 @ 10:16 PM

5. wrote:
I could not refrain from commenting. Exceptionally
well written!

Sat, May 11, 2019 @ 9:50 PM

6. wrote:
Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful article. Thanks
for supplying this info.

Wed, June 5, 2019 @ 6:24 AM

7. wrote:
Hi, just wanted to tell you, I enjoyed this article. It was inspiring.
Keep on posting!

Tue, June 11, 2019 @ 11:00 PM

8. wrote:
whoah this weblog is magnificent i really like reading your posts.

Stay up the good work! You know, many persons are searching round for this info,
you can aid them greatly.

Wed, June 12, 2019 @ 10:47 AM

9. wrote:
I like the helpful information you provide in your articles.
I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently.

I'm quite certain I will learn many new stuff right here!
Good luck for the next!

Fri, June 28, 2019 @ 6:02 PM

10. wrote:
I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites
really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark
your website to come back down the road. All
the best

Mon, July 15, 2019 @ 6:13 AM

11. wrote:
I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post's to be what precisely I'm looking for.
Do you offer guest writers to write content for you personally?
I wouldn't mind creating a post or elaborating on a lot of the
subjects you write in relation to here. Again,
awesome blog!

Wed, July 17, 2019 @ 6:54 PM

12. wrote:
I pay a quick visit everyday some sites
and information sites to read posts, however this web site presents quality based writing.

Fri, July 19, 2019 @ 8:38 AM

13. wrote:
This design is steller! You certainly know how to keep
a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start
my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really
enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Too cool!

Sun, July 21, 2019 @ 4:41 AM

14. wrote:
Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I in finding It really helpful & it helped me out much.

I hope to give one thing again and aid others such as you
aided me.

Tue, July 30, 2019 @ 4:14 PM

15. wrote:
Good way of describing, and good paragraph to obtain data regarding my
presentation subject, which i am going to convey in university.
pof natalielise

Thu, August 1, 2019 @ 8:51 AM

16. wrote:
Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to
see if it can survive a 25 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is
now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is entirely off topic but I had
to share it with someone!

Sun, September 1, 2019 @ 10:42 AM

Add a New Comment

code

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.